Saturday, March 8, 2008

World News

Now as many of my regular readers know, I am very interested in the Olympics, but I can’t help but be concerned by the actions of the Chinese government. Leading up to the Olympics they have committed acts that be describes as nothing short of human rights violations to make sure that while they eyes of the world are on Beijing the cracks and failures of the Chinese society don’t show. Now I by no means a tree hugger, or a huge environmentalist or animal rights activist, but I read this (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=528694&in_page_id=1811), and it actually made me cry. I have been raised around cats, I had my own cat that passed away in 2004, then when I moved into my own place I adopted two kitties, sisters, who lived with me until I had to move, but I found them a good and safe home. I have never had any tolerance for people who abuse animals. Cats, and dogs, can be very gentle and loving animals, they provide companionship, friendship, and even love. There is proof that when an elderly person has a pet they do better mentally and physically than those without. I think the IOC, the world press, human and animal rights activists alike need to take a long hard look at Beijing 2008, and make sure that in the awarding of future Olympic games, that the games are not carried out at a premium price on human and animal rights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so sad. We also have 2 cats at our house.