Sunday, March 23, 2008

Humanity erased

I have been reading this story about a young woman from Alton Illinois who was tortured and killed by another woman and her children (story here http://www.lincolncourier.com/story.asp?SID=27344&SEC=8). Matt from Debriefing the Boys has also commented on this, and brought into it a discussion of the death penalty, and the evilness of some people. I have worked in the criminal courts for over two years. While I cannot disclose some of what I have seen, I can say some it can make your skin crawl, and some of it can turn you blood cold. Its true the majority of my day is simple crap, misdemeanors for underage drinking and drug position, but every so often is one of those cases that can make you question at what point someone stops being human and becomes simply unadulterated evil. Now as far as the death penalty goes, I don’t really know where I stand on it. On one hand I understand that killing someone wont undo their crimes, and I know that for the most part it is not a deterrent to crime, but on the other hand do we out to the victims to make sure the criminal never gets the chance to do it again, should taxpayers have to cloth, feed, and shelter these people like from Alton who have shed their humanity and savagely tortured human being. The people in Alton held a woman locked in a basement, they used her for target practice with their BB guns, they burned her cloths, they would not feed her, so why as a society do we owe those who did these unthinkable things to this innocent young mother, who was also pregnant, any better. These monsters murdered a 29-year-old woman, took the chance at life of her unborn child, and took her from the life of her 1-year-old child who was also treated in horrible conditions. Now as far as some further commentary on the Death Penalty, I find that those who oppose it the most are Catholics and evangelicals. Now just some notes on hypocrisy here, the bible does say an eye for an eye, and the golden rule says do unto others what you would have them do unto you. No apparently, it is ok to not obey that part of the bible, as well as countless others, but it is ok to discriminate against gays and lesbians because the bible says it is a sin. Rest assured I am not making a gay rights argument out of this, I am just providing some insight. So in short, do these people he did this deserve to die, my answer is yes they deserve to die when and if they are found to be guilty of their crimes, did Timothy McVeigh deserve to die, my answer yes he deserved to die for his crimes. I know this is going to make me hated by some if not almost all of my blogger friends, but it is my opinion. I think the Death penalty should be left as an option for certain heinous crimes, but that it should be done only in extreme circumstances, and that there should be a mandatory requirement for solid forensic evidence and an examination of all that evidence on automatic appeal of any death penalty conviction to ensure we are not executing innocent people wrongly convicted. Comment away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think many studies have shown that the death penalty does nor prevent crime. if we execute an innocent person, there is no going back. no doubt it has happened.