Monday, August 20, 2007

Kids Today

Today was my first day in class as a full time student in nearly four years. Its amazing how much has changed in four years. Walking the halls today people where on their cell phones, texting, listening to I-Pods and the objective seemed to get from point A to point B with the least amount of interaction with another human being possible. When did we forget how to say hello as we passed someone in a hallway, when did we stop talking to people in person and communicate only over the digital divide? We wonder why we can’t work out our differences, it’s because we can’t communicate, at least not face to face. Today text messaging, cell phones, voice mail, e-mail, and the internet are our primary means of communication and it is definitely starting to affect the real world. I perfectly admit that I am guilty of it as well, I have the cell phone and I fire off text messages to my friends and send e-mails to family members, and run this blog, but I am still capable of holding an in the flesh conversation with a real live human being. Seeing the fresh out of high school kids today who could barley look up from their phones or i-pods to mutter a hello or excuse me truly make me wonder if there is any hope for our future. But then again I am sure the generations before us said the same damn thing about us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey...

Just came upon your blog and want to wish you well. Love the idea of no holds barred, intelligent discussion and well-reasoned arguments and look forward to reading your posts.

I really hate to start out by agreeing with you about this post----would much rather argue, but I too fear tech is causing isolation and stunting emotional growth with people of all ages. But I am sure people said the same thing about the telephone when that came on the scene too.

Zagman said...

Hey thanks for the link and e-mail. I have to say that I don't feel like I am controlled by my phone/e-mail. I mean yeah I guess I do text a lot and stuff, but I have really made an initiative to meet a lot of new people since starting school. Maybe I'm just lucky with meeting new people. See ya. (I like your blog by the way)

Zagman said...

Hey it's me again. I kind of take back that last post. I realized that when I'm on lower campus, I throw on my headphones and totally space out. I guess it is a little annoying when people say hi to someone and they just keep walking by because they are listening to their ipod or something. (But I do take them out when I get back on upper campus where I'm living because I tend to see a lot more people I know)