Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Something worth fighting for

Well since the post I made earlier today was supposed to be put up last night, I guess I can roll this gem out a little early. I will say this has not been an easy one to write out, so if I get incoherent or hard to follow at points just hang in there my mind will come back to what I am thinking about.
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about friends I have had over the years, the one who have turned out to be true friends, the ones who I thought were true friends, the ones who stabbed me in the back, and the ones I will never see again, nor get to say the things too I should have done long ago.
First I should cover those friends who are gone. I am only 24 years old but have already attended the funerals of three of my friends, at times we could have killed each other, other times heaven help anyone who would oppose us. Unfortunately it took the funeral of one of those friends to make the rest of us realize just how valuable life was, and make us end the longstanding petty feuds between us. As it has turned out, those people, those friends have been the ones I have had the longest and continue to be the ones I am closest too.
Now I have made other “friends” over the last several years, but as with the game of politics most of them where not friends, but opportunist waiting till the best time to plant the knife in my back.
Now for the one that really kind of hurts the most. I met this guy when we started working together, we got rather close as friends. I helped him through some rough times and he was there for me when I hit the bottom of a bottle. In February he left for the national guard, at the time he left I would have said we were very close friends. Now that he is back I have maybe spoken 5 words to him in nearly 2 months he’s been back. However I know the problem with him is the fucking bitch he married. Which lead me to another issue, why is some people when they enter into a relationship with someone they demand that the other person give up their friends just because they don’t like them. I have seen it happen a lot with several of my friends, but I’m sorry it’s not true love if you have to give up yourself or your friends for the person.
So I guess my point is friends are too valuable to let go without a fight, to important to let the small things get between you. Arguments are normal they happen all the time, it’s the false friends who will get into an argument with you and hold a grudge, a true friend will come back, whether its that day or the next day or the day after that and you will go right on being friends, it’s the true friends who are there when your in need, it’s the true friends who will sit up with you all night crying, it’s the true friends who in the end dont care what you tell them because no matter what you can say they will still be their for you no matter what. And as I said those are the friends worth fighting for, those are the people in your life that will matter the most, even beyond a partner because they will be the ones their when you and your partner are having trouble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In an ideal world though... that kind of friend would actually be your partner.